|HON. GEN. SECRETARYS MESSAGE
|Year : 2014 | Volume
| Issue : 4 | Page : 254
Hon. Gen. Secretary's Message
MB Aswath Narayanan
Hon. Gen. Secretary, IAPHD, Mathuram, Plot No. 161, Door No. 5, Murugu Nagar, 5th Street, Velachery, Chennai 600 042, Tamil Nadu, India
|Date of Web Publication||24-Dec-2014|
M B Aswath Narayanan
Hon. Gen. Secretary, IAPHD, Mathuram, Plot No. 161, Door No. 5, Murugu Nagar, 5th Street, Velachery, Chennai 600 042, Tamil Nadu
Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None
|How to cite this article:|
Aswath Narayanan M B. Hon. Gen. Secretary's Message
. J Indian Assoc Public Health Dent 2014;12:254
As our Association has completed 20 years, I am proud to present its achievements as under:
- The Indian Association of Public Health Dentistry (IAPHD) was started in the year 1993. Started with only 24 members today the membership strength is 1270.
- Membership includes lifetime and student members. The current strength of members include 1 Honorary member, 12 founder members, 24 associate members, (585 + 240) lifetime members, 408 student members.
- The IAPHD also publishes the "Journal of Indian Association of Public Health Dentistry (JIAPHD)" which is available online. The JIAPHD is a peer reviewed journal devoted to public health dentistry since 1993. Produced every quarterly, it is published through Medknow (http://www.jiaphd.org).
- The association has its own website (http://www.iaphd.org), which is updated regularly and comprising the bye laws of conduct and code of ethics including all protocols. The membership list with payment details is available in the website and it is up to date.
- Until date 19 National Conferences and 8 PG Conventions have been held.
- The Association encourages both undergraduate and postgraduate students and also the Departments by granting the following awards:
- Dr. CVK. Reddy Endowment award for PG students (Essay)
- Dr. SS. Hiremath Endowment award for PG students (Mark topper)
- Arya publishers endowment award for UG students (Mark topper)
- Dr. Mohandas Bhat Endowment award (Best community outreach program)
- IAPHD Endowment award for UG students (Essay and Mark topper)
- The Association appreciates and encourages both undergraduate and postgraduate students, who conduct research work by offering them research grants (Rs. 50,000)
- A National Oral Health Survey and Fluoride Mapping was done in 2004 which till date stands as the baseline oral health data for our country.
- The "National tooth brushing day" was inaugurated this year on November 7, 2014 and to be held each year. The aim of this exercise is to make every Indian use a tooth brush by November 2016.
- In order to empower the newly graduated postgraduates, a 1 day Orientation Program titled "Empowering public health dentists" was initiated on 8th November this year.
- The association also honors deceased members. The Association takes care of its members by giving the family of the bereaved members an ad hoc amount of Rs. 200,000/- for immediate help.
- The IAPHD has 8 state chapters at Andhra Pradesh, Delhi, Gujarat, Karnataka, Kerala, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh and 1 local chapter at Bangalore.
- Seventy-three PG centers are available all over the country producing around 180 postgraduates every year. Two centers offer Ph.D. programs.
It has been my proud privilege to be associated with this Association for the past 20 years.
Wishing all everlasting health!